Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Reality Check

Actual conversation in our house this morning:

Ryan: "Listen, let's just relax, watch a movie and have a glass of wine tonight.  I can break my alcohol cleanse."
Me: "You don't need to break your cleanse, I don't need to drink that bad."
Ryan: "OK...but you're kind of making me want to drink."

Today marks a week since our family has left town, and it turns out this whole two kid thing is no joke.  While we had our visitors it was easy for me to give one of the girls to someone else and focus on the other for a little while.  Whether I was feeding and cuddling Evie or crawling in a tent and playing princesses with Lyla, I knew the other girl was well taken care of and there were no fights for my time. 

Since all that extra attention for Lyla has gone my mornings look more like me running around with Evie in one arm nursing, dragging Lyla to her high chair, cooking oatmeal, force feeding oatmeal, switching Evie to nurse on the other side, getting Lyla's gymnastics snacks and outfit ready, forcing her into a diaper change and getting dressed.  All while Lyla throws a fit about every little detail.

And that's no exaggeration.  That was actually my morning this morning, and also what resulted in the above conversation with Ryan.

Having a testy, strong-willed toddler and a newborn has proven to be quite the learning curve.  But, honestly, even with these crazy moments it's the best thing ever.  Holding another sweet little newborn in my arms is like a piece of heaven on earth.  And Lyla's excitement about her "Evie-sis" is so precious, even if it can be a little overzealous at times.  I'd take the tantrums 10 times over just to do it all over again.

- K

Desperate times call for desperate measures.  After a series of fits I put Lyla's swimsuit on, added a couple drops of blue food coloring to the lukewarm water and let her play in the "pool".  :)

1 comment: